Sunday, November 11, 2012

Are Lucid Dreams Scary?

Is lucid dreaming scary? 

For the most part, my answer is no.  If you have never had a lucid dream before, then it's understandable that you may be afraid because you don't know what to expect!  You may wonder how it feels and you likely may have heard people suggest that you can go into a coma by doing this. 

If you are an aspiring lucid dreamer, you have to realize that your fears can manifest in your dreams.  So if you are worrying excessively about seeing scary things, then you probably will have a less than positive experience when you finally do get lucid. 

I don't personally find lucid dreaming scary if it happens to be a DILD (where I've become lucid during a dream in progress).  Usually when I 'wake' within a dream, I'm just happy that my brain was with it enough to realize I was dreaming.  I've never 'come to' during a nightmare and in most of my dreams I'm just at work or in a classroom, so it's rarely a threatening situation.

I have to admit that I do have a little fear when the dream is of the WILD variety (when I've woken up in sleep paralysis and rode it out into a dream from a conscious state) because I have no idea where I am going to end up after I transition to the dream state.  One time I opened my dream eyes and I was in a bed beside this Ronald McDonald looking being--a humanoid creature with a powdered white face and bright red lips!  It didn't try to hurt me or anything, but it was a little frightening.

However, that's the closest thing to scary I've experienced and it didn't discourage me from continuing to lucid dream, WILD or otherwise.

For a little while before this I was scared to WILD at night--and of course, the best time to try is after a few hours of sleep--but then I had a regular dream that seemed to reassure me that there was nothing to be afraid of.

And I'm not afraid.  Although my track record isn't that great, I try and hope to lucid dream every night.  There is nothing to be scared of.  If you happen to find yourself in a scary lucid dream, it's easier to wake up than it is to stay in the dream.  It's more likely that you'll wake up frustrated that your lucid dream didn't last longer than it is that you will encounter a negative situation that will deter you from future lucid dreaming attempts.

No comments:

Post a Comment