Saturday, August 11, 2012

SSILD: A Backdoor Lucid Dreaming Method

SSILD: A Backdoor Lucid Dreaming Method

SSILD stands for Senses Initiated Lucid Dream.  You may be wondering why there are two S's and the reason is simply that there was already another technique called SILD.  I can't think of what that S stands for in that method but I guess it doesn't really matter does it?

I think of SSILD as a backdoor method to reach a lucid dream.  Why?  Because the technique itself seems to have little to do with lucid dreaming.  You'll see.

SSILD was supposedly tested out on many subjects before user CosmicIron proposed it on the lucid dreaming forums.   It's been pointed out that it is very similar to Betty Erickson's self-hypnosis technique

The SSILD method is very easy and many have had success with it.  After waking up after a few hours of sleep, do the following:

1. Relax.  Lay in a comfortable position...move if you need to.  Unlike the WILD method that instructs to stay as still as possible,  SSILD allows for natural adjustments.

2.  A) Close your eyes and search out the darkness behind your eyelids.  Do you see squiggles or circles?  If you don't see anything that's totally fine.  It only matters that you tried to see something.  Focus on your sight for an estimated 15 seconds.

B) Redirect your attention to your hearing.  Listen for the buzzing of the air conditioner or the high-pitched hum in your ears.  Can you make it louder?  Focus on your hearing for an estimated 15 seconds.

C) Now we move on to the sensations in your body.  Choose a starting point and note what you feel in each body part.  Do your legs feel numb?  Do you have an itch somewhere?  Do you feel the covers on your skin?   Survey your body for about 15 seconds.

3. Repeat steps ABC 3-4 more times.  If your mind wanders just try to remember where you were and get back into it.  With each cycle, you should feel more and more relaxed.

4. Go to sleep. 

That's it.  Somehow this technique preps the mind to better recognize when you are dreaming.  SSILD is known for the realistic false awakenings it produces.  It's advised that you should do a reality check if you find that you are laying in bed forever unable to fall back asleep after doing this method.

When I first learned of this method I really liked it and felt it had some promise for me.  After I completed about 4 cycles I'd be so relaxed that I wouldn't even want to MOVE!  I couldn't sleep right after, but I was relaxed.  The first week of using this method I had several vivid dreams, my first false awakening and a DILD. 

The reason why I don't use SSILD consistently is because now it takes too long!  I start to lose focus within the first cycle and soon after I'm back on track,  my mind wanders again.  It's so weird because when I first used this technique I could finish the cycles effectively and quickly.  I guess my mind starts to relax faster than it used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment