Thursday, August 9, 2012

DILD Method: The Basic Lucid Dream Technique

 DILD Method for Consistent Lucid Dreams



DILD stands for Dream Induced Lucid Dream.  This occurs when a dreamer realizes he/she is dreaming while within a normal dream.

For example, just the other day during a nap I found myself dreaming that I was walking to my car in the employee parking lot. I pressed my little keychain remote to unlock the car door and no matter how many times I pushed the button my doors would not open.  After several seconds of trying I thought "Wait...I might be dreaming here," and immediately I knew I was.   I did a reality check (more to come on that) that fails me now for some reason, but it didn't matter because I was convinced I was dreaming.

This is an instance of a DILD and it's suggested that beginning lucid dreamers strive for this before attempting the many variations of the WILD (Wake-Induced Lucid Dream).

On paper, DILD may seem simple enough.  You just stop yourself when things get weird and Voila!!  LUCID.

But for many, it's not that easy.  Most people must practice questioning reality in waking life with the expectation that this habit will carry over into their dreams.  

Reality checks are tests one conducts to determine whether one is awake or present in a dream.



Here are some common reality checks:

  • Nose-pinch:  Pinch your nostrils together.  Normally doing this will prevent you from breathing through your nose, but when dreaming you are still able to breathe.  This is my go-to reality check.  It never fails.
  • Finger-through-hand:  Take a finger and poke it against the palm of your other hand.  When dreaming your finger may pass through your hand painlessly.  A friend of mine told me that in her first lucid dream she stuck her finger in her eye, instead!
  • Look at Text or Clock:  In dreams text seems to be unstable and ever-changing.  Look away after you read something and try to read it again. Does it say the same thing as it did the first time?  In the dream I mentioned before, I remember reading a poster announcement on a wall.  I could read sentences, but the words didn't make sense together.  The same goes for clocks.  Check the time.  Look at it again.  Sometimes in dreams the time will be different and sometimes there may be strange symbols on the clock in place of numbers.  
  • Defy Natural Reality:  Do things that should not be possible in waking life.  Jump up and try to fly.  Put your hand through a wall.  Tear a phonebook in half.  If you can do any of the preceding, then you're likely dreaming.

Some lucid dreamers do reality checks like these throughout the day while obviously awake.  After a while the dreamer finds him/herself doing the same thing in a dream and becomes lucid.   One important thing to remember when doing reality checks throughout the day is that you must take a few seconds to REALLY question if you are dreaming or awake.  Look for anything that seems weird.  Ask yourself why you are doing whatever you're doing and what you were doing 10 minutes ago.    In other words, don't just mindlessly do a reality check and go on with your life because when you're dreaming you may reality check and just continue the dream without recognizing it.

Dream signs are recurring symbols or situations in dreams that one may use to induce lucidity.  Do police cars show up frequently in your dreams?  This could be a dream sign for you.  Use this to your advantage by making it a habit to do a reality check whenever you see a police car or officer in real life.  When you see a policeman in your dream you will remember to reality check, and hopefully you will become lucid.

Lucid dreamers at the forums have coined the related phrases "All Day Awareness (ADA)"  and "Lucid Living"

These terms refer to being constantly aware.  Again, if it becomes a way of life in reality, it will transfer over to the dreams.  ADA and Lucid Living (interchangeable in my book) involve constantly being aware of your surroundings and always wondering if you are in a dream.  This may involve doing reality checks but if you are consistently questioning reality, reality checks may not be necessary.

Honestly, I'm kind of lazy and can't remember to reality check enough to make it a habit.  

I'm still a rookie, but I have never become lucid by catching myself doing a reality check in a dream.  Every time I've done a reality check in a dream it was to confirm my suspicion that I was dreaming.  Somehow the reality check is what snaps me into a clearer dream-awareness. 

Lucid dreams can also be achieved in a less organic way.  Some use vitamins for lucid dreaming like Vitamin B6, Melatonin and Choline Bitartrate. 

Others use auditory tools like binaural beats which alter the brain waves to facilitate lucid dreaming.

There are also products like the Remee Mask which detect when the user is in REM sleep.  The mask then sends visual flashes of light or sounds to alert the dreamer that he/she is dreaming.  Devices like this can cost $200+.  That's an expensive dream if you ask me.



There you have it for DILD.  I think that if you can figure out how to become lucid from within a dream you will have a better shot at more numerous and consistent lucid dreams.  The WILD methods are more hit or miss.

So start getting those reality checks in today and you'll be off to a good start.  You have to start somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment